Taiko Center of the Pacific Fellowship Program
PLEASE NOTE: the mailing address for the application is:
Taiko Center of the Pacific
4348 Waialae Avenue #357
Honolulu, HI 96816
Attn: TCP Fellowship
A one-year scholarship to study traditional and contemporary taiko in Honolulu, Hawaii. Fellowship begins summer 2015 for 2015 (start date flexible).
Congratulations to YEEMAN “MANMAN” MUI, URIE KLINE, and THOMAS GOEDECKE for being selected as the 2013-2014 TCP Fellows~!!!
- $250 one-time cash stipend. Opportunity to participate in any regular TCP class. Placement in the Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble (KETE) Trainee Program with the opportunity to become a performing member of the Honolulu ensemble (Program begins September 2013).
- Opportunities to study hogaku hayashi, matsuri bayashi, lion dance, and fue through discounted private lessons with Kenny Endo.
- Possible part-time taiko teaching assistant position June 15 – July 17, 2015.
- Possible part-time employment as an administrative and/or teaching staff member.
- A large and close-knit taiko community.
- Opportunities to travel and perform on neighbor islands.
- Access to quality higher education opportunities at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Kapiolani Community College, Chaminade University, and Hawaii Pacific University.
- Great weather! Great food! Great beaches!
- Fellowship recipients must be between 18-35 years old.
- Minimum of 3 years taiko experience, or an equivalent combination of experience in taiko and other performing arts.
- Applicants must submit an application form, 10-15 minute audition videotape, and an application essay. Finalists may be interviewed via telephone by members of KETE Honolulu.
- One-year commitment required with possibility for renewal. Approximately 10-15 hours/week in practice, teaching and administrative assistance.
Who should apply?
- Members of youth taiko groups who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Members of collegiate taiko groups who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Any other member of the taiko community interested in pursuing this unique opportunity.
Application: Click here to download the application (.pdf)
Deadline: May 2, 2015