Taiko Center of the Pacific Fellowship Program
PLEASE NOTE: the mailing address for the application is:
Taiko Center of the Pacific
4348 Waialae Avenue #357
Honolulu, HI 96816
Attn: TCP Fellowship
A one-year scholarship to study traditional and contemporary taiko in Honolulu, Hawaii. Fellowship begins summer 2015 for 2015 (start date flexible).
Congratulations to SEAN SHIBATA, AUDREY BERGERON-MORIN, and CHUNG WAN CHOI for being selected as the 2015-2016 TCP Fellows~!!!
- $250 one-time cash stipend. Opportunity to participate in any regular TCP class. Placement in the Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble (KETE) Trainee Program with the opportunity to become a performing member of the Honolulu ensemble (Program begins September 2013).
- Opportunities to study hogaku hayashi, matsuri bayashi, lion dance, and fue through discounted private lessons with Kenny Endo.
- Possible part-time taiko teaching assistant position June 15 – July 17, 2015.
- Possible part-time employment as an administrative and/or teaching staff member.
- A large and close-knit taiko community.
- Opportunities to travel and perform on neighbor islands.
- Access to quality higher education opportunities at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Kapiolani Community College, Chaminade University, and Hawaii Pacific University.
- Great weather! Great food! Great beaches!
- Fellowship recipients must be between 18-35 years old.
- Minimum of 3 years taiko experience, or an equivalent combination of experience in taiko and other performing arts.
- Applicants must submit an application form, 10-15 minute audition videotape, and an application essay. Finalists may be interviewed via telephone by members of KETE Honolulu.
- One-year commitment required with possibility for renewal. Approximately 10-15 hours/week in practice, teaching and administrative assistance.
Who should apply?
- Members of youth taiko groups who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Members of collegiate taiko groups who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Any other member of the taiko community interested in pursuing this unique opportunity.
Application: Click here to download the application (.pdf)
Deadline: May 2, 2016